Saturday, January 22, 2011

Video games and drinks???

The tales of bad dates I fear will continue on from the dawning of time to the end of the second coming. Well, probably even beyond that since after the second coming, life doesn't look like it is going to be any better but at least I won't be here for that.

Lunch date: travel time 45 minutes, with traffic and road construction, an hour and a half, older man with low maturity level and still lives at home with parents.

We met at a nice restaurant for lunch and as we looked over the menus he began with his tales of mishaps with law enforcement and his drinking and driving record. "Better not order anything with alcohol in it; I'm getting tested again soon and I want to pass this test." He exclaimed as I tried to focus at the task at hand, what to order and hoping the traffic was not going to be so ugly on the way home.

Then he continued on, "I am trying to lose some weight so I want to be careful what I eat." He really didn't need to lose any weight actually, he had a little bit of a belly but no body likes a scrawny guy. I told him that I thought he looked just fine. He order the French Dip with fries and later followed it up with an ice cream sundae. I like a guy who has a decent appetite. As the waitress took our order, he ordered first, traditionally and respectfully, the woman orders first or the man orders her meal first then his but I digress. He asked the waitress if the au jus contained alcohol. "Weird" I thought as my eyebrows lowered and I wondered to myself "How can a man live to be 40 years old and not know what au jus is?"

As we waited for our sandwiches we talked about things we enjoy, the standard conversation on a first date. He had a very nice smile and a twinkle in his eyes that didn't seem to be alcohol induced. He tells me that he is a "Gamer". Now for those of you who are not familiar with this term, a Gamer is someone who spends way too much time playing video games and most often is without a self respecting job and lives in their parents basement, who stereo typically are also particularly bad at social interaction. Historically, the term "gamer" usually referred to someone who played role-playing games and war-games. However more recently, the term has grown to include players of video games. While the term nominally includes those who do not necessarily consider themselves to be "gamers" (i.e., casual gamers), it is commonly used to identify those who spend much of their leisure time playing or learning about games. Hopefully that clears that up.

"Do you play any games?", he asked me. "I actually never really got into video games after the epidemic of Nintendo thumb. But, I do play a bit of Farmville." I replied. He was excited about that and smiled as he remarked, "Then you can relate and identify with me how much I like gaming." With a twist of my neck and a questioning tone I said, "Not really. There is a pretty big difference I think." And I continued to shake my head in agreement with myself.

The conversation then took a dive and he began a new topic that was just as disappointing to discuss but that didn't stop him from the train wreck he was making this casual afternoon lunch date.

He continued on, "I walked here, I don't live far. Since I lost my licence I can't drive and have to get a ride or take a bus to go see my PO." Wow really? I thought to myself as he quickly turned from just a socially inept lonely guy to sort of a wounded animal in my mind. Taken off guard, I simply said the only thing I could think of that wouldn't expose that I was full of pity for him, "Oh really, that must be a challenge."

As we ate our sandwiches and he made more dating mistakes, I couldn't get out of my mind that he ordered dessert too. This date was already taking so long, I think I have enjoyed getting a speeding ticket more than this. It was sad and sort of pathetic at the same time, I was almost feeling sorry for him but only a jack ass would drink and drive. So I felt the punishment fit the crime.

Oh and being in a state that is known for it's amount of rain, yes, you guessed, it began to rain. Dessert finally arrived and I was hoping the check would accompany it but no luck there. We had one of those inattentive waitresses that seemed to forget that we were on her list. I ordered the crème brûlée that shockingly was delivered to me still in the dish it was cooked in, plain without fruit. Very odd and strange I thought but when in Rome I guess. By the way, it didn't taste well at all. Sometimes, I wish I would have become a food critic. Someone has to warn people about debacles like these.

Speaking of debacles, back to the one that was sitting across from me. He completely enjoyed his ice cream sundae as his eyes rolled to the back of his head and a little hot fudge stayed in the corner of his mouth. Disappointed, I secretly wished I had ordered the ice cream sundae too. Probably the only good decision he made in the last hour and half.

Check arrives, great, time to go. We smiled at each other and I thanked him for lunch and told him, "You have a great smile and it definitely increases your face value." A bit cheesy I know but after that date, what else can one say? He smiled and said, "Thank you. It was nice to meet you and I hope we can get together again." We walked to the door and the rain poured down. I lowered my head then looked at him and asked, "Would you like a ride home?" "No, he said, I just live around the corner up the block." Then he pointed out the best way to get on the freeway and gave me a hug. Then turning with a friendly wave of his hand he disappeared into the rain and I ran to my car.

The maze of over passes, fly ways, by ways, and fly overs accompanied with after work rush hour made the journey home a rainy two hour and fifteen minute nightmare. I was happy to be home to relax in my favorite easy chair and play a little bit of Farmville. Who could use a drink?

No comments:

Post a Comment